Thursday, September 18, 2008

Atlas of Colour - images of final atlas

Time, as it has been for the past year, was a major influence on how I completed the major project in this workshop.  Although I am happy with the Atlas as a whole, there were many compromises made in the assembly of the atlas that I made due to a mismanagement of time.  


- The main compromise that involved a loss was the NAVIGATION method behind the atlas.  A linear sequence replaced my early very high aim of creating a three dimensional contents page that showed glimpses of different chapters and navigated through the whole atlas.  


- The colours I chose as 'my' colours were predominately autumn/earthy colours, and provided the colour scheme of the atlas.  This, combined with the sensitivity to paper choice expressed in the precedent study of Steven Holl's Questions of Perception: Phenomenology of Architecture influenced the assembly of my atlas.  

- key lesson: paper choice can provide subtleties to a presentation that can make or break it.  (note the difference between these images and the digital version of them in the previous entry)




- Very happy with the brown paper most images were printed in.  It somehow enriches the colour of an image without making overpower the page.

-  The tunnel:  I was interested in creating a tunnel that blurred the line between two dimensional and three dimensional space.  To accomplish this, I combined images of spaces with the spaces created through tunneling.  
- This part of the atlas would have been far more successful if I used more solid material, like cardboard instead of bond paper and layered more material.  (Compromises made due to a lack of time)

No comments: